Friday, July 27, 2012

Baked Crab Wantons


This last week I have been on an Asian food kick. I love Asian foods but have always been a little afraid to try and make them on my own. After a complete and utter failure at trying Orange Chicken in the crock pot, my fears were further confirmed.

This last week has renewed my hope however as I have found some tasty and easy oriental food to try out. This first recipe was an appetizer I made for the fireworks party up in Bountiful.

I tried the recipe a couple different ways and found a winner. The plate of wantons was empty in seconds, and they got pretty good reviews. And so without further ado, Asian Kick Recipe #1


Baked Crab Won Tons (Rangoon)


Ingredients:
1 can (8 oz.)? white crabmeat, drained and chopped
1 package cream cheese (8oz), softened
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
5 green onions chopped
A dash or two of garlic salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
24 won ton wrappers
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine crab meat, cream cheese, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, ½ of green onions, garlic salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
3. Push 1 won ton wrapper in each mini muffin cups. The edges of the won ton wrappers will extend beyond the mini muffin tin cups and may need to be folded slightly. Spray all wantons down with cooking spray. Bake empty wantons for 10-15 minutes, until edges are lightly browned and bottoms look baked.
4. Fill the center of each won ton cup with crab mixture. 
5. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until edges of cups are golden brown and filling is heated through. Top with additional green onions and serve. 
*Note: It may be tempting to just fill the crab mixture in the unbaked wanton wrappers and bake it all at once. I tried this. I ended up with soft wantons. I guess they tasted ok, but there wasn’t that lovely crisp and crunch that you need in a wanton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment