Saturday, November 17, 2012

What to do with leftover rice

Make this creamy rice pudding!


When you wake up to this


Then it's time to make this


Growing up, our rice pudding was a baked dish, and it was delicious. It wasn't until I went to Peru that I learned that people make rice pudding on the stovetop, and it too is creamy and delicious.

Creamy Rice Pudding


1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
 2 cups milk, divided
 1/3 cup white sugar
 1/4 teaspoon salt
 1 egg, beaten
 1 tablespoon butter
 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a clean saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg; cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.

6 comments:

  1. So is this a dessert or a breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ate it as breakfast... But I could also see us eating it as a dessert. I guess it depends on how much sugar you feel comfortable you feel putting in your breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can handle a little extra sugar for breakfast every once in a while. I've pinned this, so hopefully one of these days I can give it a try!

      Delete
  3. Cynthia--
    I love this!
    Do you have a blog button or anything? I would love to put it on my page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika! Your blog inspired me to finally get it going.
      I added a blog button widget on the right. This is my first attempt, so let me know how it works!

      Delete