Sunday, March 10, 2013

Peanut Butter Bars



I have never been a huge PB bar fan. I mean, they were fine. Just not my favorite. But this recipe converted me. My mother in law made these a couple weeks ago and I think I ate half the pan. I asked for the recipe to use in a cooking group at my work and have made it twice this week now. I learned some valuable things each time I made them. I will share my mistakes with you so that yours are fabulous. 


Mistake #1. Cool the peanut butter bars completely before frosting. Not just not hot. They guys should be cold if possible. Stick it in the fridge or freezer for an hour kind of cold. Otherwise you will get a melted peanut buttery mess. 

Mistake #2 Use smooth peanut butter. I guess if you really love the crunchy variety you can try that. But I really think it messes with the consistency of the bar. Just keep it smooth. The bars pictured here have crunchy PB, but again, I recommend the smooth. 

Mistake #3 Do not overcook! This was even written on the recipe and I still messed up! They seem too underdone after 13 or so minutes and I thought another 5 minutes would just firm them up a bit. Which it did... but it also majorly dried them out. I wouldn't let anyone eat the edges because they were so crumbly and dry. They bars are meant to be so soft and melt in your mouth. So really, don't go over 15 minutes. 



Kayla's Fabulous Peanutbutter Bars
1 ½ cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 ½ cups softened butter
4 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
2/3 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
3 cups rolled oats

In a mixing bowl, cream sugars and butter until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and peanut butter, mix until smooth. Add baking soda, salt, flour and oats and mix until totally incorporated. Spread on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 11-15 minutes. Don’t overbake! They should be barely browned on top. These are meant to be very soft. Let cool completely. Smooth 1/2 cup to 1 cup peanut butter over bars. Spread chocolate frosting on top of peanut butter and enjoy!

Chocolate Frosting
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup dry cocoa

1/4 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp water
1 egg
1/2 cup soft butter

Put first three ingredients in a mixer (I love my Bosch). Put ¼ cup of granulated white sugar in mug. Add 2 TB water, and microwave for 60 seconds, until the sugar is fully dissolved and you have a thick syrup. Now timing is everything. Turn on the Bosch, and quickly break one egg into the spinning powdery mess. Quickly pour in the hot syrup. Then throw in a cube (1/2 cup) butter. Then pour in 1 tsp vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and whip until creamy and blended. Spread over peanutbutter bars for a yummy treat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment